Saturday, September 23, 2017

Pikachu and Poké Ball New 2DS XL

A friend - or rather a group of friends - have reminded me that there are two new special editions of the New 2DS available, and they're both Pokémon-themed. One of them has a Pikachu motif, much like my 3DS and one edition of the New 3DS, and the other has a Poké Ball motif. Admittedly, I appreciate these very much because I'm a Pokémon fan, but at the same time I have my own reasons for not obtaining either of them. By my observations, they are still neat handhelds of their own.

Both of these have all the frills of the New 2DS XL with the clamshell case and improvements carried from the New 3DS. The Poké Ball motif, however, is a unique one because most special Pokémon handhelds have featured Pokémon themselves rather than objects such as Poké Balls; Pikachu in this regard has been the one most often featured, no doubt as the de facto mascot of the series. I'm certainly enamored by both and would get the Pikachu one if I could choose.

Still, I'm a little apprehensive about getting either of these. As I think the 2DS is an offshoot of the 3DS, which is the primary member of the family, it plays into the 3D vs. 2D issue I discussed four months ago. I still consider the 3D function great, even on my now less-than-prime 3DS and find it hard to come to terms missing the 3D function, at least until there is a definite non-3D successor to the family. All told, the special Pokémon New 2DS XL may not be practically available just yet, and a New 2DS XL is slightly more expensive than a New 3DS XL. Owing to these considerations, a New 3DS XL is still in my consideration rather than a New 2DS XL.

It is still appreciable that Nintendo aims to please Pokémon fans, and these special editions of the New 2DS XL do just that. They're trendy, attractive, and do just what it takes to play all the games of the 3DS family. I wouldn't go out and get one right away, but they can be considered a viable alternative in the end. The allure of these new Pokémon-themed handhelds is sufficiently impressive that they ought not to be missed regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.