Saturday, April 22, 2017

Costume Issues

As a human, I'm not a perfect one, so sometimes I err in my ways. As a cosplayer, I try to stave off as many errors as possible, but occasionally I leave some behind. So I would be lying if I said I didn't have issues with my costumes, especially my Pokémon costumes. I want to fix them whenever I can spare time, money, and resources to do so. Here are the issues I have with them:

Ash Classic (first, second generation). The clothing articles for this costume are perfect, so I have no issues with them. The cap emblem is a little big, but it's OK. The only problem is the gloves: sometimes the finger holes fit more snugly than they should, which sometimes causes problems upon removal. Either I will have to fix this particular part, or make new gloves entirely.

Ash AG (third gen.). All the parts for this costume are perfect, except maybe for the gloves. Since the gloves are shared with Ash DP, I just used the same one I made a long time ago, and now they're starting to split. Small fixes should be possible to keep the gloves together.

Ash DP (fourth gen.). Aside from the gloves issue above, I don't have much complaints about this costume, except that the yellow stripe on the vest that I have now is straight rather than angled, and perhaps a little tall. It's a pretty small thing, so I may or may not fix this - it's low on my list of priorities.

Ash BW (fifth gen.). This may be the most problematic of my regular Ash costumes. When I made the cap, I was scant on resources, so I did more than I needed, and now the front of the cap always seems to fall flat. The circular motif on the jacket also looks somewhat weak, and I do believe the shirt under it is off. I really want to perform revisions of this costume sooner if not later.

Ash XY (sixth gen.). The outside appearance of this costume is perfect; the inside is another matter. I've noticed that the inside hook of my pants are placed in a way so that it fits me too tight, and I'm getting it fixed as I'm writing this. I've also noticed that Ash's undershirt is more than just a simple black shirt, which I've used to get by, so I'm interested in making this.

Lucario Prince Ash. This is the most expensive costume I have but it's also the most spectacular. So to find that the overalls, shirt, and pants are getting too tight is a big problem. For me, the easiest way out is to redesign all of those; I've never been fully satisfied with them from the very beginning, and this solution would take care of both problems.

Pokémon Trainer Red (old). I have no issues with my set, except that the symbol on my cap was drawn with a marker, so I have to be real careful with that. I might just do a different take on the symbol should it disappear entirely.

Pokémon Trainer Red (new/Nendoroid). The clothing and equipment for this one is OK, except that the first and last time I cosplayed this, I used a wig that was somewhat off, and I'm not satisfied with that.  I'll do better next time, and maybe I can use what would be a new wig for this for old Red also.

Every costume set of mine seems to have problems, not all of which are the same. I know that I can deliver a better cosplay experience if I fix them, so that becomes the imperative. But most importantly, by doing so, it will show that I remain a dedicated fan of Pokémon - not a completely perfect one, but at least more perfect and more dedicated than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.