Sunday, April 2, 2017

I Found You, Black and White

Through this window everything seems new
The worlds not changing it's just my view
Spent so much time looking for what I thought was right for me
But it's only when I gave up that I got what I really need...

...

Anticipation is something new
When you never had someone to look forward to
I thought I knew who I was and who I wanted to be
But my mind just kept wandering waiting to let me see...
-- "I Found You", Aaron and Andrew

As I had been (re-)watching the BW series of the Pokémon anime, in particular with the English dub, I noticed something. While this was going on, I had also been watching a program on local TV that used an instrumental version of the above song for its credits sequence; I grew interested in the song and ended up listening to the vocal version as well. So then I was watching a certain episode in the series - I forgot which, but it was one of the early ones - and thought the music of the credits sequence, which was simply just an instrumental version of the "Black and White" opening theme, fitted the verses of the above song. After that point I began to sing along the verses every time the credits appeared.

On the surface, this song doesn't have anything to do with Pokémon, let alone the anime. But with some fanciful interpretation, this song - or at least the verses above - could be construed to have some relation. For the first verse, it's about the relationship between Ash and Pikachu, for as much as Ash relies on his other Pokémon, time after time he also ends up relying on Pikachu, which is not a bad thing at all. For the second verse, the "anticipation" is of the discoveries, people and Pokémon alike, that Ash find along his journey, which help to shape him as a person. These interpretations are a bit of a stretch, but they make sense if you think about them deeply.

The link between this song and the Pokémon anime is purely coincidental, but it's an elegant and sentimental coincidence nonetheless, and I'm only happy that it worked out in this fashion. It allowed a fresh, new perspective on what goes on in the anime, which is good to keep in mind, no matter what happens with Ash and Pikachu on their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.