Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Music of the Poké Flute

I've been feeling dozy today and I'm being a little challenged to do the things that I want and need to do. And no, it's not because it's Four-Twenty, which so happens to be today. I feel like a Snorlax about to go off into a nice, long slumber after a big meal - but I don't want to, at least not yet. I think I need a little bit of that Poké Flute magic, which is really great, because it puts out an enchanting tune that even Snorlax can't resist waking up and moving about to.

In the first-generation Game Boy games, the Poké Flute is a physical item, and the tune played is very short. In the second-generation games, the Poké Flute is a radio channel that can be tuned into in Kanto, and the tune is significantly longer as it is played there. In both of these generations' games (and its encore in X and Y), the tune is used primarily for waking up Snorlax. If you have and use the messaging program LINE, the Pokémon sound sticker pack has one of the stickers playing an even shorter snippet of the Poké Flute music, and it's for the image of... a Snorlax. So Snorlax and the Poké Flute go hand in hand.

Like the first-generation bicycle music, the tune for the Poké Flute is mostly in the major scale, so it should be another tune that's easy to play on any instrument. It's also shorter and a little more repetitive than the bicycle music, so it should be even easier to play. In truth, before I started to experiment with playing the bicycle music by ear on the piano, I started by playing this one. Once I was successful with this one, I moved to the bicycle theme. Needless to say, as with the bicycle theme, the only part I can play of this piece is the melody; a full accompaniment is out of reach with my current skills.

Now then, I've got a busy weekend ahead of me with even more things to keep me busy beforehand. If I'm going to be a Snorlax, let me be one - temporarily - after I'm satisfied with my current business for the day. I think I'm going to have a listen to that Poké Flute music a few times until that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.