Saturday, January 28, 2017

The First-Generation Bicycle Theme

One of the most iconic pieces of Pokémon music has to be the Bicycle theme from the first generation games. If you often use the bicycle while playing these games to increase your movement speed, you'll without a doubt hear this piece many times. If you use the instant-messaging program LINE, you can get a Pokémon sound sticker with retro images, and one of the stickers is a "bicycle" sticker that plays the first few notes of this piece. This piece was also arranged for use as BGM in the anime during the Kanto saga.

Of the several arrangements on this piece, I like the original 8-bit arrangement as heard in the Game Boy games and the anime BGM; the latter is especially well-made and maintains the feel of the 8-bit original with more lively sounds. I've listened to the arrangement in the remade first-generation games, and somehow I'm less thrilled with the arrangement there. It seems to be missing some of the jolly, lively quality that I sense in the other two arrangements. Even so, it is an important part of the game and without it, the game wouldn't be complete.

Another thing I like about this piece is that most of the notes are in the major scale, so it is (or should be) easy to play on any instrument. In fact, I have been able to re-play the piece on a piano using sound memory and trial-and-error, albeit only just the melody. If I had much better piano skills, I might be able play the entire piece complete with accompanying chords.

As a hallmark of the first generation games, its bicycle theme is a nostalgic and unforgettable piece. Such qualities, along with the mood of the music itself, brings a smile to my face, and reminds me of all that I like about Pokémon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.