Thursday, January 12, 2017

In-Game Trainer Name Inspirations

Another tradition that I have regarding the main series of Pokémon games is how I name the protagonist Trainer of the games - they are all named after (or the name is an inspiration from) sports athletes. Unlike my experience of choosing the main games, this one started later as I played the Generation III games onwards. Previously in Generations II and I, I had used only names that don't refer to a person or one of the names suggested by the game. I liken Pokémon Trainers to being the athletes of the Pokémon universe, and thus the choice to name them after sports athletes just fits in well.

Here are the names I have used, based on this tradition:

Generation III
Sapphire: Richard - Ricky Carmichael (motocross)
Emerald: Daniel - Dan Marino (American football)
Generation IV/II Remake
Diamond: Michael - Michael Phelps (swimming)
Platinum: Roger - Roger Federer (tennis)
SoulSilver: Derek - Derek Jeter (baseball)
Generation V
White: Bastian - Bastian Schweinsteiger (soccer)
Black 2: Phil - Felipe Massa (Formula racing)
Generation VI/III Remake
Y: Bode - Bode Miller (skiing)
Omega Ruby: Patrick - Patrick Roy (ice hockey)
Generation VII
Sun: Rex - Rexy Mainaki (badminton)

The Generation I remake is missing from this list, and for a good reason: I broke the tradition once to name my protagonist Ash as a nod to the anime and because I never used it when I had the chance in the Generation I games. Given the chance to pursue this tradition retroactively to Fire Red, I would name my protagonist Anthony after Tony Hawk of skateboarding fame.

I know it might seem quirky, but it should be admitted that there is a kind of elegance in this tradition. I wouldn't have it any other way for later Pokémon games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.