Saturday, January 7, 2017

Tournament: Local Friendly, 1/7/2017

I just came back from a local Pokémon video game tournament using the Sun/Moon games and I had quite a bit of fun today. A few of my friends who also play the Pokémon games on the 3DS, as well as I myself, had decided to start an association of local players, and this was our first time holding our own tournament. We're a small bunch for now, but we have big hopes for the future.

Tournament in progress.

The tournament was divided into three parts: a Single Battle tournament, a Double Battle tournament, and a Battle Royal tournament. The Single Battle was more like a warm-up tournament for the Double Battle tournament, which followed this year's requirements for the VGC tournament rules; the Battle Royal was for a little bit of excitement to close the day. For the Single and Double Battles, they were just a straight knockout tournament plus an additional 3rd place match with only a single match played, except for the Double Battle tournament, which featured a best-of-three series in the semifinals and finals.

I have to say that I was under-prepared for this tournament because of other issues, but I still managed to form a team that was compatible with the formats being used. The best I can do was to play in the first round... and that was it. But then again, in my overall tournament experience, I've never gotten past the first phase for one reason or another. I look forward to changing this trend in future tournaments. For the Battle Royal, I mostly became a target for the others and couldn't hit the others as much as I needed to, but it was all in good fun.

Overall, this tournament was a blast and a good start for our association. At the end of the day, what matters is not only the experience, but also the sense of camaraderie gained from playing with others. I think we're all in for more of these in the times ahead.

I'm on the far left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.