Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Pokémon Is Everything

And in this crazy life,
And through these crazy times
It's you, it's you,
You make me sing.
You're every line, you're every word,
You're everything.
-- "Everything", Michael Bublé

This might be one of the most relatable songs to Pokémon that I've found so far. I've been listening again to quite a few of my favorite songs lately, and I chanced upon this gem. At that moment I found that a lot of the lyrics of this song could be relatable to Pokémon. It is this that makes me delighted to have been listening to the song and to discuss it right now in this post.

In the song, a lot of things are listed that speak of the qualities of someone; those same qualities could be used to relate to different Pokémon. I can already identify Jirachi as the "falling star", the Gastly family for "mystery", and Deoxys for "outer space". The other qualities are a little abstract and have wider interpretations, but I still can suggest a few connections. "swimming pool on an August day" makes me think of Wailmer on a beach, which would be greater than a pool, but it kind of works. Also, "perfect thing to say" - why not Smeargle, that says things in pictures? I'm sure others would have different interpretations.

The only part I would slightly adapt is the second half of the second chorus. Instead of "kiss", it could be "catch", and instead of "love", it could be "bond". These adaptations then make the second half as being relatable to catching and battling. Otherwise, the song is pretty neat as it is - it's just that the interpretation is a bit open. And I don't think that's a bad thing when it comes to Pokémon, as it is a great, big world with many facets.

I say, if Pokémon can be everything, then why not. It is already a lot of things, and it can be many more with some fanciful interpretation. And if you like it as much as I do, then maybe you'll like it enough to sing, as the chorus above would suggest... this song, in fact. In that way, Pokémon really is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.