Wednesday, October 11, 2017

All That He Wants... (Is Another Victory)

All that she wants
Is another baby
She's gone tomorrow boy
All that she wants
Is another baby, yeah
-- "All That She Wants", Ace of Base

If you grew up in the early 90s as I did, you've probably heard this ditty in many places, whether you have the album that it was on, or on the airwaves. It was just that popular. So what connection does this song have with Pokémon, which came only years later after this song? Practically none, but I have one such connection. It concerns not the actual lyrics of the song, but a changed rendition of it - a parody, if you will.

First, a little backstory. Over a decade ago, I was tasked with an assignment: to change the lyrics of a song so that it less resembles the original song, and then to sing it in front of a group of people. I found inspiration in this song, and Pokémon sealed the deal; instead of "All That She Wants", it became "All That He Wants". And if you've been reading my blog, then you'll know that I'm a major fan of Ash - he is exactly who the "He" refers to. The lyrics were also somewhat changed to suit, of course. Oh, and the result was well-received by the people I sung the changed lyrics to, so much so that I received a prize for being the best among others who did the same.

Unfortunately, I've lost my notes on the changed lyrics of the song, but much that I do remember is for the chorus, which also is partially the title of this post:

All that he wants
Is another victory
He'll go tomorrow, boy
All that he wants
Is another victory, yeah

The inspiration for these lyrics is the early days of the anime, where Ash was always seemingly pumped up to get his next Badge, which of course only can be done through the course of victory. I tried to encapsulate all that in the changed lyrics.

Just recently, this song became locally popular again due to a joke circulating on social media regarding "misheard lyrics" for this song. If anything, this and the best regards I received for my changed lyrics way back when proves that this song remains well-known and popular among those who know it. Whatever happens, I still have Pokémon to thank for solidifying my relationship to this hit song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.