Saturday, October 21, 2017

Pokémon Brand Parodies

Parodies are some of the most humorous creations I can think of. Combine parodies with Pokémon elements, and you've got a laugh for even the biggest of its fans. One type that I'm into is brand parodies, which are parodies of names of company brands. Once, I've seen Oddidas (Oddish + Adidas) with the old Adidas logo, which does indeed resemble the top of an Oddish, with its body; that one is very inventive. That got me to think of other Pokémon brand parodies, and I came up with three for Indonesian brands, though all of them fully replace the brand name with the (English) Pokémon name. They're Indonesian brands because... well, that's what I'm most exposed to nowadays where I live. So here they are:

Sanken feat. Sunkern


Sanken is a maker of Indonesian household appliances that use Japanese technology, which does explain why the name sounds like it's Japanese. Regardless, I thought the name vaguely resembled the Pokémon Sunkern, and that's what it became. It almost lends it a "natural touch" since Sunkern is a Grass-type. As an aside, its slogan when translated means "Relax... there's Sanken"; the brand name is made a part of the slogan. I don't know how you'd actually relax with Sunkern, but maybe the Pokémon is calming enough.

Polytron feat. Porygon


Porygon might be more famous for its role in "the incident", but it is still an interesting Pokémon for its virtual quality. So for appliance maker Polytron, this quality seems fitting, especially with their slogan, which means "so advanced". Polytron itself also has moved in the direction of gadgets like smartphones and tablets, and for this, Porygon seems to also be more befitting. Their virtuality go hand in hand.

Go-Jek feat. Golett


For a brand that has only become famous in seven years (and their anniversary was only about a week ago), Go-Jek is spectacular. This is actually the courier/ride service that I mentioned four months ago; they started with providing a service for motorcycle taxis and has expanded to food delivery and services to get tickets, pay bills, and even shop when you can't be there. The connection to the Pokémon Golett seems minimal (other than the orthographic resemblance), though in the anime there was an episode where a Golett could assist with certain things, so I suppose it works.

These Pokémon parodies of popular brands tickle my funny bone somewhat, and I suppose they would do the same for quite a few of my colleagues. It's nice to be on the lighter side of things every now and then, and that includes Pokémon. These brand parodies are still successful in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.