Sunday, October 29, 2017

Three-Line Episode Summaries

Back before I started this blog, I used to keep a journal... or rather, journals, but that's a more involved story that I will reserve for later. The point is that when I kept my journals, I also noted, in a certain manner, the Pokémon episodes that I watched. And that manner was summarizing them in three lines of an unspecific short width. I still find this useful, especially now that I have this blog about Pokémon, which is why I'm keeping the ritual.

Any episode that I watch is summarized into three lines, with a succinct description of what went on in the episode.

Episode 672 - "Here Comes the Trubbish Squad!"
Ash recollects childhood memories as he
resolves issues between kindergarten kids,
their teacher, and one trashy Pokémon...
While I like ending my summaries with a period or ellipsis (three dots), I also try to vary the ending punctuation with question marks and exclamation points.

Episode 690 - "A UFO for Elgyem!"
A startling night-time vision leads to
Ash and co. visiting a science professor
to find the truth that's out there!
The beauty of this format is that it allows not only prosaic summaries but also allows inclusion of poetic verses of three lines, including the haiku. I don't do it often (and not for the following), but it's always a possibility.

Episode 669 - "The Bloom Is on Axew!"
As well, Ash and Cilan attempt to
answer a more pressing question:
what does it take for an Iris to bloom?
Three lines of text cannot capture all the intricacies, subtleties, or details of an episode, and it's not meant to. It's only meant to capture the most important happenings within the episode so as to become a "teaser" of sorts, though it's still a summary of the whole.

Episode 698 - "Movie Time! Zorua in 'The Legend of the Pokémon Knight!'"
Ash and co. take it to the silver screen
in a movie where its lead actress is not
even human at all - or not all the time!
A three-line summary has become my standard for explaining the essence of the episode owing to the fact that it works so well and allows for a certain amount of language artistry. And now with this blog, it becomes something else distinctively Pokémon that I can share. I will include these along with any future episodes that I discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.