Monday, February 5, 2018

I Need a Laugh - Pokémon Humor

After the devastating turnout in yesterday's tournament, I feel that I could use something lighthearted to soothe my Pokémon spirit. And what better way to do it than also with something that makes people laugh - in other words, some humor. Fortunately, Pokémon is in some ways also suited to humor, and that becomes a fascinating and appreciable aspect.

By several accounts, I'm informed that the latest adventures of the Pokémon anime as the Alola saga is not only designed to be even friendlier toward children, but also to have more humor. Ash has been seen to make a few expressions that he hasn't made previously, and even some scenes may elicit a chuckle - in one scene, Solgaleo is seen to be licking Ash with its yellow tongue, which is odd and quite humorous. The latest adventures do qualify for a good bit of humor, but so do some parts of the earlier adventures, if one looks hard enough.

Within all the seriousness of the games, there are also parts that can be construed as funny, Hau's acts throughout the main story as well as certain things done by Team Skull in the Sun and Moon games have been at one point or another regarded with humor; Hau is well-known for his love of malasadas, and as villainous as it is, Team Skull does things in non-orthodox and less-than-serious ways, which make fodder for comedy. Even in the spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon there are moments of humor, like when Victini proudly shows off its V-Wheel in Gates to Infinity. So the games too have moments that appear to be funny.

In another area of humor, it's also clear that quite a few things Pokémon are also made into memes, whether from the game, anime, or otherwise. Last year, I posted something about "loss", and that is a meme by current standards. Even my discussion of Snorlax's awakening was partially based on an image that could be considered a meme. Even so, this is an area I tend to steer clear of, since I find a good portion of the humor isn't quite exacting to my taste, though this might also be true for the other situations I mentioned above.

Still, it is hard not to laugh at several things that Pokémon have to offer. It doesn't detract from the more serious aspects, and in fact, it may enhance them by providing a very different point of view. I'm fine with that, and it seems so do others that feel the same way.

Now that I've enjoyed some humor, I feel relaxed - ready to take on other serious Pokémon matters.

One year ago: Itasha Revisited

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.