Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Fondness for Latias and Latios

Players of Pokémon Go got a treat today. The reason is that the Eon Pokémon Latias and Latios are now the game's newest Tier 5 raid bosses, replacing the outgoing Lugia. Each is available in different halves of the world for a time, after which they will swap and be available in the other half; my half got Latias, and already my raid group is on it, though I'm sure when Latios comes, we'll be on it too. This exciting turn of events brings to mind a certain fondness I have for them, one that has been present since the Pokémon first appeared.

Considering the anime, their most well-known appearance is of course the fifth Pokémon feature film, which in English is titled Pokémon Heroes. It was as the movie became popular (and I became attracted to its setting), in fact, that I also showed a slight attraction to the two Pokémon. Of course, the movie turned out to be quite harrowing for the two, but that didn't decrease my attraction. They were a unique pair of Legendary Pokémon that seem more close-knit than others, and they still are today; it seems one just won't do without the other, as evidenced by their double raid showing.

In more recent times, they only seemingly became more ethereal. They became the bearers of their own Mega Stones starting with the third-generation game remakes, with dazzling purple Mega forms that only serve to unify the two further. Most importantly, they also allowed Trainers to "Fly" almost to anywhere and at anytime. This was obviously a revolution, as normally Trainers needed to have a Pokémon with Fly in the party in order to go somewhere. In that way, this was the precursor to the Charizard Ride in the seventh generation, owing to acceptance of the revolution. I do too, and this is such a fantastic aspect.

I'm so fond of them that I've come up with four nicknames for them: "Little Red" and "Big Blue", based on their color, and "Little Sis" and "Big Bro" based on their gender (Latias is female and Latios is male). I'm not sure if others are inclined to use them as well, but I think the nicknames are fancy and playful, enough for me to keep referring to them in this manner.

Latias and Latios are not the primary Legendary Pokémon of their generation, but with everything that goes on with and around them, they might as well be. They're special for any fan of Pokémon, especially if they play the games and even if the game is something different like Go. To that end, I'm sure I'm due for a good time with them now in Go, as well as how they've been all these times and they will be in the times ahead.

One year ago: A Story of Love, A Story of Passion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.