Tuesday, March 17, 2020

There Are Monsters Outside

No more I love you's
The language is leaving me
No more I love you's
The language is leaving me in silence
No more I love you's
Changes are shifting outside the words
-- "No More I Love You's", Annie Lennox

As is true with many songs, they remind me of Pokémon in some way. The song that I've quoted above likewise does the same. However, I found that even though that is the case, I found that I was struggling quite a bit to write this post for a few reasons. I even had trouble deciding which part I should quote. Yet after all that, I finally settled and wrote up this post to at least show how my mind works with Pokémon and the rest of the things that life has to offer.

This song is a popular hit from a long time ago, even predating the conception of Pokémon by one year. It's a mellow song somewhere between sad and happy; it's really a break-up song by which one states that one has been freed from the weight of a burdensome relationship, for which the title is appropriate in saying that one no longer needs to say expressions of love to the other person. Realistically, this song cannot be said to have any connection to Pokémon. But there is one part of the song that suggests otherwise.

That part is the "spoken interlude" (bridge) of the song. It could be described as the innocent thoughts of a babbling youngster before coming to gripes as an adult with the situation in the rest of the song. Most notably, this part contains two mentions of "monsters", one of which is in the last line of that part and becomes the title of this post. Those who are Pokémon fans will recognize how this fits, of course, because "Pokémon" is short for "Pocket Monsters", and therefore a fanciful interpretation of it might be construed to be an exotic perception of "the monsters outside".

Still, the "monsters" thing is a crux of the song, being mentioned as early as just before the start of the second verse. An alternative fanciful interpretation is then needed, and by the chorus, one seems to be indicated. The interpretation is that the relationship of me and Pokémon goes beyond love, from the early days of naive fascination to the current times of neat understanding. It almost seems like it no longer needs "I love you's" to say that I have dedication for all things Pokémon; the message may be considered similar to a different song, but that would certainly need a different post.

The difficulties I had in writing up this post may indicate something else: this dedication and attachment may go beyond language. This does, of course, correspond to the other lines of the chorus as above. With that, it seems the struggle I had in writing this post is validated, even if the Pokémon relationship is rather abstract. Along with the reminder of it, it is apparent that no words are needed and the changes that take me along for the ride simply transcend it.

One year ago: "Monkey Trio" Keychain Figures
Two years ago: What's Played, What's Not, and What's Next
Three years ago: Pokémon X Food Network ...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.