Friday, February 24, 2017

Memories of Johto

Recently, Pokémon Go just updated in what I would term as the "Johto Update", bringing the members of the second-generation Pokémon into the game. It's a long-awaited update ever since its boom in the middle of last year. At the moment, it might be hard for me to start playing Go again, but it is something that I desire very much. Moreover, this "Johto Update" brings back memories of games and the anime as they concerned the region.

I remember how excited I was in awaiting to play Gold and Silver, the initial games featuring the Johto region, and how that excitement became mixed with depression over other things that were going on as I played. It's always been something I regret, not to have enjoyed the game (I selected Gold) with more upbeat feelings. The experience was better with Crystal as I had resolved some of the issues that plagued my time with Gold, and I found its slightly altered storyline more enjoyable. Years later, when the second-generation remakes came on the scene and I selected SoulSilver to play, I found the further alterations to the storyline a big improvement, but they didn't detract from the nostalgia to the older games. Regardless of the games, I found Johto to be an enigmatic eastern-influenced region, which was such a change compared to the Kanto region.

It was also when the anime showed the Johto region that I started somewhat actively following it, all the way to its climax. There were a lot of joys as I saw Ash undertake the challenges of the region and succeeding - many of the gym battles come to mind - and sorrows when he was less successful, including that climax. The Lugia and Lake of Rage story arcs were also quite thrilling and excellent additions. Plus, the feature films of the Johto saga era (Spell of the Unown, 4Ever, Heroes) were profound pieces and great complements to the main anime storyline.

For me, there were a lot of ups and downs when recalling moments pertaining to the Johto region, by way of its associated Pokémon. Whether they were as I played the games or watched the anime, there were things that were saddening, but then there were also pleasantries that made things great. These are the memories I'll always remember for this region.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.