Friday, February 3, 2017

The Sweetest Days - Ash and Pikachu

I'm sure some readers of this blog will recognize the song "The Sweetest Days" by Vanessa Williams. I've only recently heard the song again and have grown to like it for its touching lyrics and gentle melody. Well, guess what? Those touching lyrics and gentle melody remind me of Pokémon too. I'm specifically reminded of Ash and Pikachu and how they have developed over the course of the anime series. For them, every day is the sweetest day they know, no matter what happens.

Incidentally, the images shown in one particular ending sequence of the anime helps to visualize this perception, at least what is suggested in the first verse, chorus, and coda. That sequence involves the song "Soko ni Sora ga Arukara" by Toshiko Ezaki. In it, Ash and Pikachu are shown sitting under a tree and interacting while nature does its business around them. Granted, some parts push the visualization a bit far ("thunder roars", no thunder) but this can be taken to mean "thunder" elsewhere outside. If the original ending song is moving enough, then "The Sweetest Days" is even more so.

This gives rise to a possible creative project, which is to cut the song to the length of the ending sequence, then replacing the audio of the ending sequence with the song. At present I do not have the necessary resources to undertake this project, but I'm hoping that I can take it up at some point in time. In lieu of this project, I have concocted this image instead that has some of the same effect, using the meager resources that I already do have:


And yes, the image is a frame from the aforementioned ending sequence.

I hope this is moving for you as much as it is moving for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.