Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Duff Knows Pokémon

I've discussed about Food Network and one of its (super) stars, certainly in light of my attraction to Pokémon, and now I want to talk about another one of its stars. He typically deals with cakes (and to some extent pastry), but not just any cake. He deals with cakes that are beyond the ordinary, even considered... masterful. He is none other than Duff Goldman, the one to whom the title "Ace of Cakes" belongs. And he also seems to know a thing or two about Pokémon, which makes me glad as a fan.

One of the ways I know this is because recently I've been watching the third season of Kids Baking Championship. In the third episode, there was a discourse that went like this:

Duff: When I was younger, you know, chips and salsa was like a thing. Is it something different now?
Valerie: OK, I don't know.
Duff: Some sort of Pokémon snack or something they eat?
Valerie: I don't know.
Duff: Kids these days. [laughs with Valerie]
-- Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli (Kids Baking Championship S3-3, transcribed)

I was quite surprised when I heard the direct mention of Pokémon. I'm pretty sure that Duff is older than me, so to hear Duff mention Pokémon tells me he's been "around the block" enough to know something about it. It may not be a lot, but it may also be just enough for him to understand what it is and what it involves.

As crazy as it sounds, there is something else that backs this up, the other way I know about Duff knowing Pokémon. In another show titled Cake Masters, which involves the creation of cakes that are indeed masterful, one of the cakes on display at Charm City Cakes West (Duff's cake studio in California) is a Pokémon cake with a Poké Ball base and a Pikachu top. I'm not quite sure of the history of this cake, but what I'm sure is that if Duff had a hand in it, then he must have gained some understanding of Pokémon. I had been fascinated by this cake when I watched the show, but I felt that I couldn't make heads and tails (and a discussion) of it... until Duff mentioned Pokémon in Kids Baking Championship. 

Duff's passion is cake, evident from his many appearances in relation to cake. My passion is Pokémon, which is why I have this blog now. I don't necessarily know much about cake, though I've gained some knowledge about them through these shows; similarly, Duff may not know much about Pokémon, except perhaps what knows while working it into his cakes. In that sense, we're a little like polar opposites of one another along the spectrum of Pokémon and cake. It would be fascinating if we could put them up to a certain middle ground.

So Duff, you're a great guy, and I like you a lot, even more now with the evident connections to Pokémon. You're a master of cake, and I'm a (to-be-)master of Pokémon. Our respective passions are strong and extraordinary, yet also very much able to be combined. I look forward to having this realized, which would bring us closer from them.

(P.S. Duff, I think you might make a good Wattson! 😄)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.