Monday, February 26, 2018

Sixth Cosplay Anniversary - From No-One to Someone

Wouldn't you believe it - six years ago, on this date, I formally started my cosplay adventures by attending my first event (or it could also be considered a convention, since many communities were featured as well in it) with the intent to cosplay, of course with my Pokémon cosplay. I've mentioned quite a few of the details in my fifth anniversary post (see below), and I would like to mention a few more, in particular in relation to who I am today: I feel that I have transitioned from a "no-one" to a "someone" with my cosplay efforts.

First, a little flashback. That event that I first attended was entitled "Japan Romantic Festival", which as is expected of many events in February, including yesterday's, is love-themed due to Valentine's Day. Back during that first event, I knew no one, other than several people who I had become acquainted with initially for the purpose of cosplay. No one also really knew that I really love Pokémon nor the fact that it was my impetus to start cosplaying. I was indeed a "no-one" because people didn't know who I am and reciprocally I didn't know many of the people that were related to or attended events or conventions.

This is one of the event entry passes.
The pass is for an exhibitor/performer.

Now, I really am a "someone", since people know of my presence as a cosplayer, and more specifically as a Pokémon cosplayer. I've been to many events in my area and even beyond, connecting with those who attend in part as the character that I cosplay, most often Ash or Red. But most importantly, I've shown my interest in all things Pokémon through the things that I do, including cosplay. As well, I have this blog to help capture all my Pokémon thoughts and experiences, including cosplay, and present them to a wider audience. It's a wonderful thing.

I've come a long way since that first event. To come to the point where I know many people as much as people know about me is nothing short of amazing, and to have gone through this with Pokémon and Pokémon cosplay is indescribable. Everything that has gone on has only served to solidify my relationships to both, as well to every people I meet along the way, shaping me from a "no-one" to a "someone". It's been that way for the past six years; I can only hope it will proceed the same way for a foreseeable time in the future.

Happy sixth cosplay anniversary to me.

One year ago: Fifth Cosplay Anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.