Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Pokémon Craft Figures - Mewtwo

The Pokémon collectible that I got from the convention that took place a week ago can be said to be quite hands-on. That's because the collectible is a figure that is assembled from its individual parts. That also explains why this post took so long to be realized, because I was only able to find time today to actually assemble the figure and make the supplementary documentation for the blog post. And then of course there were other Pokémon things going on, but that's hardly anything to gripe over.


All the parts of the figure come packaged in a pouch that is not much bigger than an index card and no thicker than a small plate. There are supposedly several variants of this figure for the featured Pokémon, but at the convention, there were only three pouches, and by the time the decision was made to get one, someone had made off with one of the pouches, leaving only two to choose from. Although the selection was supposed to be random (and therefore by gacha), the vendor permitted bypassing this for the last two, which contained Mewtwo and Zekrom. Mewtwo was chosen because it is closely linked with Ex-Raids in Pokémon Go, which I now enjoy.


The parts themselves are printed on paper that is glued to a thin foam sheet, or rather two of those sheets, while the base of the figure is cardboard. The good thing is that all the parts are pre-cut, so all I had to do was pop out the parts to start building. As for the assembly guide, it is in the form of an image depicting the fully assembled figure, which is nice but might be a bit abstract for some people, although the parts are pretty much clear in regard to where they are supposed to fit.

The build itself is very simple: just fit the parts into the indicated slots, and a figure should result, as per the assembled guide image. I found that for Mewtwo, it was easier to fit the upper body to the hip first, before attaching the appendages and finally attaching the figure to the base. The assembly is like certain animal skeletal model kits that I've assembled in the past, which also have plate parts like this one, though of course this one is much, much simpler. Attention to assembly is also necessary, for there is the possibility that some parts might break, but fortunately that didn't happen in my case and I got a great figure as a result.


This figure is relatively cheap and the assembly is not too brain-wracking. I'm not too fond of figures requiring (heavy) assembly as would be the case for certain figures depicting mechanical workings, but this kind of figure is just fine. I would see myself getting another one of this given the chance, and I could see myself possibly enjoying a larger version of this kind of figure with the exact same build method. Either way, I'm OK and ready to get hands-on to build a figure that speaks to my Pokémon appreciation.

One year ago: Crossovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.