Thursday, April 26, 2018

Working with Shuffle's Item Limits

Some games place finite limits on resources or items, or at least those which a player can collect, for a variety of reasons. Pokémon Shuffle happens to be one of those games, and the game does possess collection limits on its items, which is something I've discovered with frequent play of the game. These limits are also something that I have to work with, in order to keep up my progress in the game.

The most evident limits are for the basic resources that are used in playing any stage, and they would be Hearts and Coins. Only a maximum of 5 regular Hearts (which are replenished each after a time of 30 minutes) as well as 99 extra Hearts (which are given by bonuses or exchanges) can be stored at any one time, if a Special Shop item is not being used; thus if I know that I've hit the maximum on this, I need to spend time playing to deplete Hearts so that I can earn more later. In the past, these were combined, which meant that any Hearts in excess of 5 had to be used before the game allowed Hearts to be replenished, which could be painstaking if there were many to deplete, but fortunately this was changed so that Hearts could be replenished while keeping extras. As for Coins, only up to 99999 of them may be kept at any one time; why this is not made a perfect 100000 is beyond me. In any case, I have to spend those Coins on stage items or otherwise once I hit that limit; in fact, I like to spend the Coins, then save up to hit the limit, then spend them again. Progress is evidently needed once these limits are reached.

Similarly, Enhancements have finite limits as well, and the limits are simple: 99 for each of the 10 of them. I've experienced this first-hand just like with Hearts and Coins, and at that point they just need to be used as well, so that more can be earned. What's a bit difficult about this is that the number of Enhancements aren't immediately visible nor are they quickly accessible, so they have to be frequently checked (by way of the Pokémon selection screen) to know their numbers. By my experience, once they pile up into counts of 80 or more, it's time to start putting them into good use for improving the abilities of Pokémon that sorely need it, and believe me, there are, though wisdom may be necessary in determining who gets what and when.

I confess, I tend to be a "hoarder" in that maybe I'm not so wise or a bit indecisive in making use of these items, and I tend to leave them be. That's how I came to know about these item limits in my progress through the game. It's just something that I have to take consideration as I go along. And yet, that's perhaps the intent and reason for these limits: to make sure that progress really does progress. It's perhaps a good way of putting my hoarding intentions aside and forcing me to play as intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.