Friday, March 3, 2017

To Pre-Order or Not to Pre-Order?

Since Pokémon is a major game franchise, it's understandable that every time a new main series game comes out, it is usually also available for pre-order ahead of time before the release date. Some places will even give neat bonuses for pre-ordering, which is nice for those who like collecting.

I myself don't have much experience in pre-ordering, and I picked up nearly all my main series games after (in some cases well after) the release date. Up to X and Y, this was always the case, yet it wasn't something I was too worried about. When Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out, I had a chance to pre-order, but I didn't take that chance due to reasons of financial uncertainties. Eventually I got a used copy of Omega Ruby for a little less than its original price, but by then most everyone had already played through the game and started to play with each other, and I was late to the party.

When Sun and Moon was announced, I wasn't going to let myself end up late by the fact that I didn't have the game, so I took the plunge to pre-order at a local game shop which is owned by someone who is a friend with many of my gamer friends. The result was that I got the game fairly close to its release date, so I could begin playing somewhat immediately. The shop didn't carry any pre-order bonuses, but I don't miss this much - I'm just happy I got the game and could start play quickly. Of course, I ended up being late anyway for other reasons, which may be worth telling later.

So is pre-ordering worthwhile? By my experience, if you are after the bonuses, want to play relatively quickly, are not concerned about cost, or you play VGC and need to start tinkering right away, then the answer is yes. If none of these are pressing concerns except for cost, then you probably don't need to pre-order. In the end, whatever works for you is best - for me, I think I would pre-order again just for the convenience. As long as the intent is to play the game, then all roads lead to Rome... or rather, the region in question featured in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.