Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Pokémon and Music Games

As I've mentioned in the post about the maimai-Pokémon link, I enjoy rhythm or music games and can play some of them well enough. However, when it comes to music games and Pokémon in general, there doesn't seem to be anything definitive; it could be argued that this is a mostly uncharted territory. Even so, there have been times where Pokémon and music games mingle.

It has come to my attention that there have been a few rhythm-style mini-games that were created as tie-ins to the anime, but it appears these were Japan-only and for a limited time. In another Japan-only twist, it seems that the very first anime opening theme was featured in DanceDanceRevolution, a music game developed by Konami, but it was in an obscure version that was lower in quality compared to typical DDR versions. In any case, since these things have never (or perhaps rarely) surfaced out of Japan, I've never gotten a feel for them.

What seems to be lacking in this territory is a definitive, totally Pokémon-themed music game, akin to DDR Mario Mix. It's somewhat of a shame because Pokémon has a rich music history from the games and anime, all of which can make for a great and perhaps original music game. This is something I would love to see in the future, as is the featuring of Pokémon-related music in already-established music games, as in the above, but in a more visible way, and definitely in more popular games. (I dare say that there is a way that maimai, the current music game I am attracted to, came very close in this regard.)

I'm not an extremely skilled music gamer - I have friends who are much, much better in music games than I am - but it's one kind of game that I like. It's only natural, then, that as a Pokémon fan, I also want to see more Pokémon presence in music games, whether it be something original or in an already popular game. It's something that makes sense given that Pokémon already has plenty of musical content and is highly linked to gaming, and one that I await with the utmost eagerness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.