Thursday, July 6, 2017

Pokémon Go One-Year Anniversary

So it's very much official: Pokémon Go is now one year old. One year ago it was as if a franchise that was 20 years old by then got renewed with some fresh blood in the form of a revolutionary new game. The player base has rose and plummeted since then, but the game has remained more or less alive since then, getting a number of fixes and improvements along the way, including the second generation of Pokémon. It really made the world of Pokémon games more lively.

As I've mentioned again and again, up to now I haven't been able to replay the game due to technical reasons, but one year ago (minus a few months) I was able to at least taste the mechanics of the game. The first time I actually played it was late at night; I got the game installed on my phone then and immediately put it to the test. I even met another Go player as I played that late night. After that, I had the experiences and eventually ran into the problems I described in my initial Go post. Needless to say, this is an experience I still long for and might replicate should I become able to play the game again.

Pokémon Go can be said to still be at a young age at this moment. It doesn't have all the generations of Pokémon, and it could benefit from more features to make the game even more accessible. Therefore it's only natural to expect expansions to the game as long as it continues to be played to make even better experiences that even I could enjoy. Of course, nothing is as romantic as those first-time memories, and I think the lyrics of a local song speaks of my experience of that first play:

At the end of that road, one year ago
I remember, I waited for you
My princess, my soulmate
I don't know how long I waited - perhaps an hour
I was lost in thought
My first date boundlessly lost in my mind
-- "Setahun Kemarin" (One Year Ago), Kahitna (translated)

Hmm. In any case, thank you, Pokémon Go, for a great year. May we meet again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.