Friday, March 8, 2019

Add Hope and Tears...

If only tears could bring you back to me
If only love could find a way
What I would do, what I would give
If you returned to me someday
Somehow, someway
If my tears could bring you back to me
-- "If Only Tears Could Bring You Back (To Me)", The Midnight Sons

There's a certain bit of sadness in my heart right now. Some of it might have to do with missing or longing, which is something that certainly may be felt by anyone. In my case as a Pokémon fan, I also feel the feeling through something related to it. That would be this song, which at first glance doesn't seem like it would have to do with Pokémon. But it does, in particular through a little connection that I've also explained a bit before.

The song that I've quoted above is part of what I would term as the "interpretative soundtrack" to the first Pokémon feature film (movie). A snippet of this song, along with all the songs featured on the soundtrack, plays during the end credits of the feature film with the old English dub cast. I was impressed by that snippet, so I eventually listened to the full song, and I became more impressed by it, as it encapsulates a significant feeling.

The title of this song, of course, alludes to the "tears scene" in the feature film, which has its own significant musical links. As for the song itself, it's a fairly standard pop song and love song about a missing significant other that someone can only hope to be brought back by tears. It's in contrast to the situation in the film, but that in itself becomes the alternative ending for the situation in the song.

In that way, the song is slightly hopeful as well, even if there may be no hope. The thought that a flood of tears may return someone or something is a fanciful one, but whether it does or doesn't happen, some tears may just provide relief. It may not be as great as an actual return, but it's a relief nonetheless. It may be just what I need with the bit of sadness I have within me, in anticipating it growing larger.

With luck, there may just be something returning by way of a flood of tears.

One year ago: Cultivate or Gather Berries?
Two years ago: Pokémon and Music Games

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.