Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Difficulty of Sickness

With the COVID-19 pandemic going around, it becomes a difficult time for everyone, including myself as a Pokémon fan. It might make it more difficult for me to find topics to write upon, and even if I do, it might be difficult for me to write about them. One of those topics is sickness, and certainly in the context of this blog, in relation to Pokémon. Even so, I do have to say that it's a topic that has always "gone under the radar", one that sometimes passes through my mind but is quickly dismissed and one I could address but then wouldn't know how to. Now that there is a pandemic, it seems the best time to address it as best as I can.

This is admittedly a jarring topic to write about in connection with Pokémon. After all, sickness and disease as its extension is nothing fun to bring up or mention, let alone discuss or write about. Meanwhile, Pokémon is something that should bring some fun with whatever happens involving it. The two are seemingly incompatible, or at the least difficult to be related. However, much of Pokémon is based on real life, as its many games and things have demonstrated over the years. Therefore, it seems easy to deduce that sickness and disease might be present in some way... and they are. They may not be as serious as their real-life counterparts, but they are insightful nonetheless.

In the anime, there are a couple of episodes where some characters have gotten quite ill as a result of (mis)adventures, and these episodes are as harrowing as they are entertaining. I've rarely seen them again since the first time I saw them, but they may be usefully entertaining in these hard times. In the main series games, there is of course the Pokérus, which as serious as it is, also has interesting effects on the side. As a general overview, this does affirm what I've stated above; specific discussions regarding any of these can wait to go in dedicated posts of their own once I can deal with them.

I did choose to discuss this topic by virtue of the current happenings, and that is purely my reason for doing so. At this moment I'm not sick, and I don't wish to be so in these hard times - any time, even. Life (and sometimes even Pokémon) at the moment is already difficult enough, and the burden of a sickness is one that is unnecessary. Yet the reality is that sickness is a part of human life as this pandemic demonstrates, and it is clearly integrated into some Pokémon aspects as well, so I can only be prepared to face them however they are.

I still find it difficult every so often to find and write up about things on this blog and particularly link them to what happens with Pokémon and/or my experience with it. That might seem to be even more the case at this current time with what is happening in the world, with a certain sickness going around. It is truly difficult, but then a look into Pokémon shows that some of the same difficulty is present, though obviously not to the same degree. Either way, it remains something that one has to work through somehow, whether it's in the real world or the Pokémon world.

May we have the power to work through all our difficulties, including that of sickness.

One year ago: All I Learned with Pokémon
Two years ago: Pokémon Go Community Day, 3/25/2018
Three years ago: "Grow Old Along with Me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.