Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Seeing Pokémon in Rice Fields

In my new neighborhood, the one I've been in for almost a year now, there are rice fields all around. By walking out of the typical entry point, I'm greeted with sprawling fields so sprawling that I can see settlements that are miles away. Walking around, I can see even more rice fields, whether wide swathes or small blocks, particularly ones that haven't been converted into settlements or businesses. As with many things, these fields remind me of Pokémon, and more specifically, it makes me see them, which is just as wonderful and to a good extent also soothingly fantastical. 

I'm sure that as rats and mice are sometimes occupants of rice fields, so I might expect to run into Rattata (likely a "local" Alola form) or even Pikachu every once in a while - the hope is that their evolved forms aren't too active or even present to begin with. When the rice fields are fallow, they might make themselves hospitable to Barboach or even Stunfisk, so one might have to watch out for them and clear them out before starting to plant. If there are streams present around the fields, Magikarp, Psyduck, and Ducklett might make themselves present, adding to the species richness of the rice field areas. At night, Kricketot and Kricketune might indicate their presence with their noises.

While the rice plants are growing, they might make fine places for Caterpie and Weedle to wander around in, which might invite the likes of Pidgey to snap them up. At the same time, Oddish might wander around the fields and become one with the rice plants. This will likely continue to occur as the plants approach their full height, which may not be as tall as some tall grasses, but may regardless allow some other Pokémon species to hide in them. I perceive that Spinarak and Joltik can make their way among the plants and become surprises for those that tend the plants. And if one looks out at night, one might find Volbeat and sometimes an errant Illumise with their lights aglow.

Once the plants reach full size and are ready for harvest, there is still the potential for Pokémon to be present. Murkrow, Taillow, and Starly might make themselves present, ready to attack the rice. A ready and willing Sudowoodo might be able to stop them from doing so. During harvest time, it may be possible for Yanma and Scyther to appear, the best possible time for them to attack. However, while the former might remain a nuisance, some of the latter might be on the beneficial side and help out with the harvest. After all the rice has been harvested, the growing cycle ends and everything may then start all over again at a later time.

It's somewhat hard to deny that my new neighborhood is almost considerably the countryside with all the rice fields nearby. For some local people, rice fields can and do evoke certain sentiments, much like how tall grasses evoke certain sentiments (and this post pretty much answers the type of grass I mentioned there). For me, though, with my Pokémon background, those same fields evoke Pokémon sentiments that are just as wonderful as those other sentiments. With that, I do feel content in my new neighborhood, knowing that if I look hard enough, there might just be Pokémon out there in the fields.

Three years ago: Cosplay Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.