Saturday, October 6, 2018

My Town, Pokémon Town

I've been in the town where I reside for a good while now. This is even way before I met all the friends that I have now, before I got into cosplay, and before Pokémon Go was released. Of course, my attraction to Pokémon is far longer, but I appreciate both the same. And sometimes, I'm inclined to think of my town in Pokémon terms. It's a fantastic way to think about the situation.

Like any town in this world or the Pokémon world, there are residents in my town. Many of them are locals who get along just fine with the local Pokémon. However, there are also many who are visiting Trainers that seek to apply their Pokémon knowledge in various ways, as well as to interact in ways that are just as varied. How long they stay is up to them, but it is assured that the interactions will continue to be varied with those who stay and those who go.

Because there are many Trainers, there are naturally many Gyms as well. I happen to live near a large complex of such Gyms, and traveling to the east, south, and north, one can find more complexes of Gyms. Personally, I am proud to have been able to become a disciple of one of these many Gyms - twice over, in fact. Other Trainers are disciples of the many other Gyms, and sometimes we interact too, mostly in good terms. It's great to be able to do so.

Meanwhile, some areas seem to be characteristic of certain Pokémon. In my area, I tend to see a lot of Meowth and Skitty, along with some Rattata. The nearby complex of Gyms seems to be interested in providing homes to different kinds of bird Pokémon. Another locale seems to have been influenced by many Smeargle. Strewn around the town are many parks, with their associated Pokémon; the town center park seems to be happy to host a ton of Lotad. The list goes on and on.

It may seem a little abstract to talk about my town, for example, in Pokémon terms. But as a Pokémon fan, it goes naturally. At least it may provide hints to other Pokémon fans. I foresee remaining in my town for some time ahead, so I can continue to identify parts of my town using Pokémon imagery and maintaining my appreciation for it.

What's your town, Pokémon town?

One year ago: What's in a Name?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.