Thursday, March 22, 2018

Shiny Lugia Obsessions

Every so often, Pokémon Go becomes a lively game due to something added to it, notwithstanding its phenomenal beginnings. And recently, there's been something added that has spurred lively efforts and discussions. Lugia is back in the game as a raid boss, replacing Rayquaza; it's the second time that it has appeared, as it was a raid boss last year when the system was implemented. This time, though, it comes with a new twist: some Lugia captured can actually be Shiny, making it the first Legendary Pokémon in the game with a Shiny form. The efforts and discussions that go into this have in a way reflected "obsessions" among players, including those in my raid group.

Shiny Lugia is not that markedly different from regular Lugia; instead of a blue-tinged breast, it has a red-tinged one, and its entire body coloration tends toward red as well, which may be seen as slightly unattractive to some players. Regardless, it is a Shiny form after all, which means it's special. So special, in fact, that in Go it seems to almost be an assured capture by some reports, barring certain circumstances. These special qualities seem to be what has driven many players to pursue it, even if it might be hard to get.

On the first day of raids after the re-introduction of Lugia and its subsequent Shiny form, some of my raid group members participated in raids for Lugia, and a few did indeed obtain Shiny Lugia, and even a particular Gym was noted for handing out several Shiny Lugia over the course of the day. In the next few days, there were fewer Shiny Lugia to be had, but it had already become a point of interest for those raiding for Lugia. One player has even caught quite a few, which does become a point of envy.

I myself have had success in catching Lugia, but not its Shiny form. As of this post, I've caught five Lugia and a further three ran away. In the raids I participated, I've only spotted one other participant getting a Shiny Lugia, and yet I've raided in the particular hotspots known for having given out Shiny Lugia. More than that, I've spent four Premium Raid Passes on Lugia raids, more than on any other Legendary raid. I must admit I'm still curious about the Shiny Lugia, and while there may still be many opportunities to catch one over the next week or so of its availability, I'm also wary of using up my resources - in-game or otherwise - for this bit of curiosity.

It is still an "obsession" for players like me who are caught in the curiosity to have one. The Pokémon is special by its qualities and even by those who have caught it, which only adds to the curiosity, something that may only disappear once one is caught. Little phenomena like this are what maintains some liveliness in the game, and while they may not be as phenomenal as the game's beginnings, they do make it attractive to still try to take part, as I am doing, even if the glimmer of a Shiny Lugia is now only slight.

One year ago: A Passion for Red

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.