Monday, March 5, 2018

Being a Pokétaku

Along with the support given by one of my fellows the other day when things went wrong, the same person also introduced an interesting term to me, one that seems to mean even more now to us both and perhaps to other major Pokémon fans. That term is the one I put into the title of this post: Pokétaku. It's a term with equally fascinating roots and considerations, but more importantly than that, it shows how major fans of Pokémon can forge links with each other.

First, it would be helpful to understand the derivation of the term. "Pokétaku" is a portmanteau of two words: "Pokémon" and "otaku". The Pokémon part is obvious; the other part needs a more demanding explanation. The word "otaku" is a Japanese word that describes someone who possesses certain obsessions, in particular for anime or manga. Pokémon has both of those, not to mention a highly successful series of games, so the combination of both words makes sense. The term "Pokétaku" can then be taken as someone possessing an obsession for Pokémon things.

Given this meaning, I would indeed classify myself as a Pokétaku. I'm at the point where some people may consider it a full-on obsession. I wouldn't disagree to a certain extent, yet I would also classify it as a "fascination", since I'm as much fascinated as I am obsessed about all things Pokémon. The fact that my fellow uses the term must mean that the classification also applies. There is something that appeals about Pokémon for both of us personally that we pursue anything and everything related to it, even Go, which we also take up. We're Pokétaku people, and we enjoy it. And we're not the only ones.

My fellow has also stated that Pokétaku people are a family, and they will support others in their pursuit of Pokémon things. Based on what has transpired recently and in the past, I'd say I agree and that this is true. Many others whom I also would consider Pokétakus have shown support for each other in various ways and for various things, whether they're the games, the anime, and even merchandise. And through this forging of links, we're at the point where we can call ourselves a "family". This is a greatly appreciable thing, even now when things went wrong.

I'm happy to be a major fan of Pokémon, and I don't mind being a Pokétaku, especially with others who can also claim to be such, and more importantly give much-needed support when warranted. Beyond the term's roots and considerations, we can say that we're all in this together. And that carries a lot of meaning.

One year ago: I'm Swept Away

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.