Friday, May 11, 2018

Just Like a Rainbow

Together we can reach up high
And shine like diamonds in the sky
All your dreams will start to glow
Just like a rainbow...

-- "Just Like a Rainbow", Kumiko Mori

Let's discuss some real Pokémon songs for once, and this is a good one considering some of the things that recently happened in my life. For those that don't recognize this song, this is actually the English version of the Japanese ending theme for the third Pokémon feature film, titled The Spell of the Unown in English. Why this did not make it along with the English dub is beyond me, and yet it is a very good song.

The song is mellow and the lyrics are sentimental. They speak of the power of friends and the renewal that a new day brings, in particular the sun after rain, which gives rise to rainbows, a crucial point of the song. Essentially, the song also speaks about hope, in that rain and sorrow might occur, but they are temporary, being able to be replaced with sunshine and happiness the next day, which means that there is always hope. I find this such a profound message.

I first heard of the song by way of a Pokémon song playlist that someone suggested. It was on the playlist and I chose to hear it, and ever since then I've become attached to this song. With that playlist, it was as if the person was making a friendly gesture to other Pokémon fans. It could be considered reassuring as much as the song itself is reassuring. I'm glad that I encountered upon this playlist and heard the song for myself, which in turn led me to like the song.

And now that things have turned out the way they did, I seem to have found the hope that I need to find in this song. It gives me the inspiration and confidence to proceed again on the road of life, and even to take to the skies. Something there seems to want to glow, just like a beautiful and colorful rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.