Monday, December 24, 2018

Keeping Homes in Hearts

I close my eyes and I see
My friends, my family,
The happy times that I shared
With all the people who cared.
I'll be so far away
From them on Christmas Day
And though we may be apart...
I keep my home in my heart.
-- "I Keep My Home In My Heart", from Pokémon Christmas Bash

The most poignant piece from the Pokémon Christmas Bash album has to be this one. It concerns homes and hearts, particularly those of voyagers, for which the former may be very far away. The most relevant voyagers that concern Pokémon, of course, are Trainers of various backgrounds, and so the song is very much applicable and relevant to them, whether actual Trainers in that world or those of the real world with the same spirit, like me and other Pokémon players.

The song itself is notable for featuring Brock and Misty in a duet. The first verse and chorus are sung by Brock, while the second verse and chorus are sung by Misty, and both take turns in the bridge before singing the final chorus together. Naturally, Brock makes a reference to his home of Pewter City and Misty makes a reference to hers, Cerulean City. The two are also involved in spoken exchanges that precede the verses. It is overall sentimental for the both of them as well as those who listen to them.

Personally, I'm not a voyager, though sometimes I wish I were. However, in my current situation, I'm "virtually" in a voyage in the same circumstances as the song. The distance is not only physical, but also mental; further, the "home" is a figurative thing, and is in fact not just one, but multiple. All the same, each one has something good that I keep in my heart, even when the situation is not quite merry, as the occasion would suggest.

And that may be something to keep in mind. In this day and age, it may be conceivable that a person may have multiple "homes", which in effect becomes their "voyage". But during a special time like this, it's worth it to simply just keep in mind the good things from each; I know I can do so, particularly with Pokémon by my side... and this song too. In that way, there are truly homes that can be kept in hearts.

One year ago: Cool Wintry Song

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.