Saturday, December 15, 2018

Only for You, For Your Eyes Only

For your eyes only, only for you.
You'll see what no one else can see, and now I'm breaking free.
For your eyes only, only for you.
The love I know you need in me, the fantasy you've freed in me.
Only for you, only for you.
-- "For Your Eyes Only", Sheena Easton

A certain line always resonates when I think of Pokémon, especially one of its most lovable icons. It goes something like this:

"It's because... I always want... to be with you..."

Yes, that line belongs to the de facto series mascot Pikachu in its appearance in last year's feature film or movie, in a rather emotionally-driven scene. It carries a strong sense of attachment, which makes me think of something else with a strong sense of attachment, which happens to be the song I quoted above. Or rather, the song makes me think of this line.

While the song that I've quoted belongs to a particularly successful spy series, on its own, its messages are particularly strong. It's about someone who is "liberated" in the presence of someone else. In the Pikachu context, it is of course "liberated" by becoming Ash's partner and by doing things that it perhaps never knew it could do, in some ways much as described in the choruses of this song. This becomes something that makes a unique and strong relationship between the two.

On a different level, this song in a way can characterize my relationship with Pokémon. It's something that has "liberated" me to do things, sometimes even unexpected and wild ones. It's a bit crazy and over-the-top, I know, but to me, this is the truth, as I've expressed in an earlier post. I've pushed myself to enjoy many Pokémon things and even to express that attraction. It's something that would be otherwise if I hadn't and is strikingly clear, as the verses of the song illustrate.

Pikachu has expressed its attachment to Ash with the line above, and I express my attachment to Pokémon in various ways. In both cases, the connections are not only evident but are also one-of-a-kind, at least in my view. This surprisingly fits well within the context of this song, and I find it touching. I suppose, what we feel is really and truly "for your eyes only".

One year ago: The First-Generation Surfing Theme

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.