Saturday, August 15, 2026

I'm Already There (and You're Always There)

I'm already there
Take a look around
I'm the sunshine in your hair
I'm the shadow on the ground
I'm the whisper in the wind
And I'll be there until the end
Can you feel the love that we share
Oh I'm already there
Oh I'm already there...
-- "I'm Already There", Lonestar

When I bring up a song that has no apparent relation to Pokémon on this blog, it can be reasoned that the song ties into my thoughts or experiences involving Pokémon things. The song quoted above speaks to the second of these two realms, and rather strongly at that. It used to be a song that I wouldn't have second thoughts over, but I now truly have those second thoughts with subsequent listening of the song - specifically for Pokémon experience.

Now, the song is about a man reassuring a child and significant other, being separated by a great distance from them, that he is always present wherever they are and they will remain together, at least spiritually. It became popular over two decades ago likely because it spoke to the experiences of people separated in this way due to a certain conflict - not for discussion here. The quoted part above is the final chorus, a blending of the first two that preceded it. As such, the strength of feelings that pertain to this song becomes somewhat evident.

Since the parting of Ash in the anime, it could be regarded that even if he's not around in it anymore, he's still somewhere just like how it's a certain time of day in some place. With that, the spirit of the choruses - and maybe a little bit of the verses - apply for those who still appreciate him for who he is, like me. The new anime won't erase the legacy of the old, and that would apply to the presence as well. Surely, Ash will be present in some way at some place, and that would be felt through the elements that are mentioned in the chorus.

Then... there is a sense that the song could be understood to apply to those who have departed - as in, forever. I've had to experience one of those departures several months ago with my "Delia", who in many ways is also relevant to my Pokémon appreciation. This day, in fact, happens to be related to her as it's her "special day", even if in the past I've struggled to remember and not remember it because of how things have been even with her presence. And now, that presence only becomes "spiritual", again thanks to the chorus as mentioned.

For those who are always there, the assurance and perception that they will be as such may be difficult to establish. Yet this song presents some of the ways that can be realized, even for specific Pokémon matters and others that are only adjacent to it. Once assured and perceived, the hope is that people will understand that they've always been there all along, even if not physically. At that point, (Pokémon) life goes on however the presence may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.