Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Three TCG Booster Packs

A month ago, I detailed a couple of pieces of official Pokémon merchandise that may be connected in more ways than one, especially to something that might be part of the future. That future would be a TCG future, as the tin's primary content is three booster packs for the physical version of the TCG. This is the "future" part of the "time trip", which does not involve merchandise, but an aspect of how Pokémon is played.


Two of the booster packs are from the Sun & Moon series, while one is from the XY series. Each of these states that there are 10 cards inside, but after I've opened them up and looked at the cards inside, I found more than that in total across all three packs; there were 17 Basic Pokémon, 7 Stage 1 or 2 Pokémon, 2 Energy cards, and 6 Trainer cards, for a total of 32, meaning that at least one pack had more than 10 cards. Even so, with these being the only cards that I have, I can't make a workable deck, as a deck requires 60 cards, and I'm nowhere close to that. Plus, I'm desperately in need of Energy and Trainer cards to make a deck work.


Though I can't make these physical cards work for me right now, there is one consolation: each booster pack comes with redeemable codes for the online version of the TCG, which I luckily had already started. The great thing about the online TCG is that most things are already prepared, and that it takes up no space, unlike the physical cards themselves. I'm still learning anyhow, so I will need to deal with the online TCG for as long as I can before I work with the physical brethren. These codes will allow me to make some headway.

The coin, of course, is still connected; I know for a fact by reading the cards, even before I started playing, that a coin is used to add an element of chance to the game. As an example, some attacks dictate that a coin is to be flipped, sometimes several times, and the result depends on the coin flip. The Zoroark coin I have is one such coin, and there are more kinds of coins, which is also evident in the online version of the TCG. For now, the physical Zoroark coin serves its purpose.

I'll need more than these booster packs to get my physical TCG endeavors rolling on the right path, but these cards seem to be a good start for now. This is a rather distant future indeed, but the online TCG can help for that, and that is the here-and-now. And so the time trip continues, this time with a game element that is still related to Pokémon. The cards ought to show me what to do.

One year ago: Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Series 2 Figures
Two years ago: Always 21 - Memories of 21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.