Thursday, May 23, 2019

A Friend and Fellow Pokétaku

The term "Pokétaku", as I've detailed in the post for it, is something that a friend introduced to me when I felt down. Since then, I've used the term accordingly to refer to people who are intensely passionate about Pokémon as I am, like a girl fan that I met about half a year ago. However, strangely enough, though I and my friend had made contact over instant messaging over a year ago (which is how we got to know each other as well as how I found out about the term), we've never met one another in person. All that changed one afternoon.

One of my raid fellows helped to take this photo of us.
I wear the Pikachu shirt.

In the last hour of last Sunday's Pokémon Go Community Day, we were finally able to meet each other in person for the first time. We decided to meet at that time because it was convenient for the both of us, him being that he had a little something to do of his own and me because I was getting tired of wandering around. He is just as warm as he is when we chat over instant messaging, and most importantly, I can sense that his passion for Pokémon is just as real as mine. We couldn't meet for long, though; after a few trades in Pokémon Go, we had to do our own things, him being to continue his thing and me to finish up Community Day. We decided that we ought to meet again since this one was so short, and we did.

That meeting took place yesterday afternoon. Though we had no specific Pokémon agenda, our discussions eventually led us to Pokémon Go, the game which was most accessible to us. It became apparent that my friend had been a bit "behind the times", so to speak, when it came to this game; thus we talked mostly about what had transpired there. We performed a few trades and conjectured the possibility of a high-level raid, though we were woefully underpowered... until a friendly senior member of my raid group came by and gladly assisted us in two level 4 raids, one for a Tyranitar and the other for a Dragonite. While I had average results for both, my friend got something better for the former: a Tyranitar with the best stats possible. We were glad for each other, and soon we became more glad when a trade produced a Lucky Cyndaquil for both of us, his first Lucky Pokémon and mine with the best stats possible.

All told, it was a special afternoon. Though it mostly involved Pokémon Go, what happened over the course of that afternoon had a certain intrigue and wonder about it. It also coincidentally happened on a day that could be considered special, especially to Pokétaku people like we are. And we're strong people in that respect. We've watched the latest Detective Pikachu movie multiple times and we have gone through many of the games extensively - perhaps not as much as the other would like to, but it may be enough for one to inspire the other to do the same.

Yesterday was also the last day we could possibly meet for the time being, as he was due for a home visit the next day - that is, today - for some period of time. In a few weeks, though, we may be able to meet again within a good span of time before he plans to visit Japan - a lofty goal of my own. Whatever we do, we've already well-established that we are Pokétaku people with our involvement in Pokémon. I know in my heart that we've also established a good relationship, which we ought to preserve for whatever happens with Pokémon and in our lives going forward.

One year ago: Favorite LINE Pokémon Stickers, Again
Two years ago: Becoming a Connoisseur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.