Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Looking from Far Away

From a distance there is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the voice of hope
It's the voice of peace
It's the voice of every man
-- "From a Distance", popularized by Bette Midler

There's another song that I should have also discussed a couple of weeks ago, around the time I discussed about a different song about the world coming together as well as how Pokémon may be involved. The circumstances in that previous post were also pretty much a trigger for this song as well. Yet with that considered, it seems right as well that I'd delay its discussion up to now. Likewise, Pokémon naturally may also be involved with this one.

This song itself has a bit of history that is also relevant. Initially, the song itself wasn't too popular until the artist I mentioned above covered it; her version became considerably popular. Despite its popularity, however, some people may consider this particular version in a negative light. I personally don't consider it that way, and I am certain of the song's popularity based on how I see it with Pokémon and my experiences.

Part of the reason for the popularity of her version of the song is that it is linked to peace. Peace happens to be another topic I've discussed in yet another post, and it too is relevant with Pokémon included in consideration. I'd like to think that the meeting that happened could be imagined as a meeting of people from all walks of life from the Pokémon world, and I was just one of several (or many) Trainers who were present there. And if one were to look at it from far away, the peace and harmony would be evident.

Sure, there are still the constraints that I've mentioned in my discussion of peace and Pokémon as above. In particular, the third verse of this song is also quirky in that regard with some of what happens in the Pokémon world, outside of clearly near-apocalyptic situations. But for someone who observes Pokémon closely, the song itself seems viable enough to encapsulate every good thing. With a little luck, someone who observes from a distance might think so as well.

One year ago: (High Noon at the) Local Ex-Raid, 5/8/2018
Two years ago: Ash and Pikachu Keychain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.