Monday, May 20, 2019

Performance Critique: Bunkasai 2019 J-Song

Hmm. Well, this is kind of overdue, since the theme event for which this occurred happened over two weeks ago, but then other Pokémon things took precedence and so this was left to languish. Now that I have a bit of time, I can actually write up this critique. Actually, perhaps that is a good thing as well, because by now I've cleared my head of some of the circumstances of that event, which theoretically should lead to a less biased self-critique, which this and all my other prior critiques technically are. And as they say, it's better late than never, so now is the time for it.

As I've previously written, I performed the first Japanese opening theme again. This constitutes a "repeat performance", since the last time I formally did so was eight months ago at a different theme event. The decision to perform the song came about as a suggestion from a friend; I took the suggestion and did just that, as considering that since I performed it before, it wouldn't take much to prepare. By many respects, it can be considered the Japanese "anthem" of Pokémon. It just so happened that my figure fellows became an exhibitor, and it suited them well. This led to something remarkable.

For this critique, input was graciously provided by not one, but two videos. One video was recorded by a friend, who was willing to do so. This is often a difficult thing for me to arrange, since more often than not, I can't find anyone who is willing. And as it turns out, this performance presented a difficulty with that, though the recording succeeded. Still, the video ended up half-horizontal and half vertical, so I would need to edit it before I upload it, for example on YouTube. As for the other video, that came by way of my figure group; the one who managed the exhibition recorded my performance mid-way through. It wasn't a full recording, but it did complement the other video. Moreover, that video can already be seen right away, as it was recorded using Facebook Live Video: that one can be found here. The fact that there are two videos makes it a great thing for reviewing the performance.

The performance itself, I'll have to admit, wasn't too stellar but came out OK. I was more or less ready to perform, but apparently the sound engineers weren't; it took time for them to find the background music I submitted. And neither was the person who was supposed to be recording. Eventually, both were ready, but it made me nervous when this happened, and I suppose that factored into how I screwed up the introduction again. I hinted in an earlier critique that I may wish to try something new - not just for the previous song but also this one - but I found that I wasn't comfortable with it to proceed. For this performance, I sung in my regular range, also with the hope that I could evaluate this once more for specific purposes.

"ORE, MASARA TAUN NO SATOSHI DA!"
(capitals for my own emphasis)

I found that although I sung most of the lyrics on point, some of the more minute parts didn't seem to come out right, sound-wise or song-wise. Even so, the performance appeared to be at its best in the latter half. I especially like how the first part of the final chorus came out; it's probably the best part of the entire performance. The additional movements I made during the non-vocal parts of the song might seem a bit cheesy, but I personally think they worked and added at least a little flair. The audience thinks so too; at the end of the performance, there were lots of loud cheering. Whether the audience liked me, the song, or both, that I can't say for sure, but I'd like to think it's both.

Just a little flair.

This performance was judged by only one judge. The judge is a good friend of many of my friends, and I'm a friend of the judge as well. I've witnessed several other competitions where the judge was present, but I wasn't in them; this is the first time we've encountered each other on opposite sides of the table. Despite the presence of only one judge, I do somewhat put my faith in the judge, as the judge is known for his VIP qualification for these kinds of competitions. All the same, I would have liked to hear more of the judge's comments so that I can think about them further.

"Yume wa itsuka honto ni naru tte..."

It just so happens that currently, on one of the local TV channels, there is a talent search TV show that to some extent deals with singing and musical qualities. I've been watching it since it started a couple of weeks ago, and I can see myself in the contestants and judges' comments for them regarding their music and singing. I suppose these could serve in lieu of the judge's comments for my own performance, but everything may not necessarily be applicable. A good deal does, however, and I can stand to take their word next time I perform somehow.

"Aa akogare no Pokémon Masutaa ni..."

After having performed in several of these J-Song/Karaoke competitions and obtaining recordings for two of them, I have to admit that I'm slightly questioning myself as to whether I should be here. But because I'm performing Pokémon songs with the aid of my Pokémon cosplay, I feel that I should be regardless. This one has its share of issues, but it was still OK; the issues need to be resolved and kept in mind for next time. Next time, I'm sure I can upgrade this less-than-stellar performance into something that flies as high as the stars... or the goal to become a Pokémon Master.

One year ago: Shiny Obsessions... Again?
Two years ago: Oddest Things with Pokémon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.