Sunday, July 26, 2026

Five Creatures on a Torn Island

Just a few years ago, I wrote up a fairly imaginative post about six places that can correspond with six Pokémon types - although now that I think about it, I could have made it seven and seven, but I won't discuss that now. What I will discuss, however, is a follow-up or "sequel" to that post, since the six (plus one) places also do follow up to a sequel in a manner of speaking. It'll still have the Pokémon relation, but also in a different manner: this time I'm not bringing up specific types, but definite species instead along with the setting.

That setting, as predictable by the title, is a torn island that suffers from degradation by the environment, although in a way, there is also some human influence in that degradation. It sounds like a harsh and unforgiving environment, but both Pokémon species and their real-life counterparts (animal species) have been known to survive in settings one would not expect life to be able to persist. Of course, sometimes there may be such a thing as "too harsh", and some of these species may just fit the bill to be "saved" - more on that shortly.

Now, the five creatures - in a certain order - correspond to the Pokémon species of Mantine, 
Heracross, Politoed, Lapras, and Wailord, perhaps quite roughly in both scale and appearance. All of them make their marks on the environment as well as people (yes, there are people too) who deal with them in their everyday life. Still, it has to be said that they might be on the darker side of things in this environment, but that's not to say that there are people who revere them for all the good that they bring.

Back to the "saving" part, it would certainly take some effort to save a few of the mentioned species above that exist in this setting, particularly given that the commonly recognized (or even archetypal) forms of the above are pretty big to begin with, especially Wailord. They would also have the potential to become "regional forms" given their environment, much like what has happened in other Pokémon regions. Yet when Pokémon is brought up as a topic, perhaps there are not many things that a Poké Ball can't fix.

Many of the places I've mentioned (and far more beyond - which might be able to serve further "sequels" of this and the previous post) in fact have odd and intense characteristics that make them unique. That would certainly apply to many Pokémon species as well with their own odd and intense characteristics. Then, if they match, or at least if the species profiles match as in the above case, it makes for a pretty neat imagery of how Pokémon might just be able to relate to these places and others beyond them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.