Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Supporting Doujin and Indie Stuff

I've already discussed some indie Pokémon merchandise and things that I've acquired from Japanese events, shops, or otherwise, from keychains to notebooks and even a shirt. All these indie, amateur things allude to the term of "doujin" - a word which literally translates as "clique" or "circle" but also refers to independently conceived derivative works, which makes sense because these are enjoyed by those that are in circles or cliques related to something they like. And what I and many people like is Pokémon, so obviously there would also be doujin and indie stuff for Pokémon. To some extent, I say that lending them some support is permissible.

On one hand, there's nothing like official (or at least officially licensed) merchandise and things. These are surely well-crafted and well-designed in terms of physical and artistic qualities. They should be prioritized if at all possible. However, indie merchandise and things can sometimes be as well-crafted and well-designed as official ones; at that point they are a gem in the rough and can be gotten for that reason. This is especially more true if those offer something unique that is not available officially.

Based on this, I'd say much of the indie wares I've obtained fit either criteria for quality. The pencil bag I obtained in March is a little odd in terms of art style, but it's totally unique and truly reflects Pokémon. The smaller of the two pillows I dropped in January is not so unique but its art and design is exceptional, so I like that I got it for that. The wall hanging also from March is a little bit of both. The only one so far that I'm a little regretful that I got is the floor mat, which falls a little short on both. In general I'm still mostly happy with their evident qualities.

I'm not opposed to doujin and indie stuff as long as they can measure up to their official counterparts and/or fill in a void in the official counterparts. Regardless, the official stuff is worth it and is a better priority. It all comes back to the word "enjoy" - that which can receive such a feeling in the best way deserves it. I'd say both of these kinds of things can deserve support by enjoyment to different extents, especially in regard to Pokémon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.