Wednesday, January 17, 2018

30 Going on 10... Or Something Like It

Well, let's just get to the point: today is my birthday. As I've noted last year (see below), this year is more special, because this year is indeed my 30th. And I'm still a loyal Pokémon fan, coming up on the two-decade mark in fact, only separated a few years from when Pokémon came into being. Plus, I adore the spirit of one of its most recognizable human characters, who is only about a third of my age. There's a lot of years involved in all of that, and that's worthy of some discussion.

A good deal of Pokémon fans are of or about the same age as me, and that's understandable - we all could have started liking Pokémon at about the same time, although it could also be later. Certainly a great deal of Pokémon fans are quite younger, liking Pokémon only later, and there's nothing wrong with that. Yet it's also not entirely impossible for fans to be older than me, especially if they've been playing the games of their time. If we share the same sentiments of appreciation, then we like Pokémon, and that's important, no matter what age we are.

As for Pokémon itself, it has its own rich history, but that's better reserved for the anniversary post to come a little later. It's an amazing history that's sure to expand even further in upcoming years. Yet what's important is that Pokémon is as varied and extensive as it is old. I consider myself lucky to be part of that history, and so should other players, no matter how much of that history they've taken in. Everyone's welcome for the ride, whether blasting through the past or into the future.

And then there's the one I adore. Going by the progression of the anime, Ash is only 10 or at the most in his early teens. In a previous post, I've discussed how Pokémon and children go hand in hand; it has always been the case, and it will still be the case. I'm no longer of that age, and it is not my wish to remain of that age, but the fact remains that his character is an inspirational one. In that sense, he becomes a timeless classic for any fan of Pokémon.

I'm 30, Pokémon is 20+ and I've been with it 20- years, and Ash is about 10. It's a neat progression of things. There's been so much of everything through all the years before, and most likely much to see in the future years to come. I'm happy to reach my age with Pokémon, and with all that's happened, I expect to be with it for years and years ahead.

Happy 30th birthday to me.

One year ago: A Pokémon Party?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.