Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Be the Best... or Be Different?

Recently I heard an interesting quote, which goes something like this: "if you can't be the best, be different instead". This quote speaks to me as a Pokémon fan. Pokémon is inherently tied to "being the best", so that's an aim that is quite admirable for anyone involved with it. However, in light of this quote, perhaps this is a good approach as well for Pokémon fans in what they do.

I already know I'm not the absolute best player on quite a few Pokémon fronts, relative to a good number of others who play. My VGC teams are all in disarray in regard to certain aspects. My performance in Shuffle's Competitive Stages is only holding up the upper middle. Even in Go, I haven't been that successful in raids, although that may only be because of the relative paucity of participation. In other Pokémon games such as Mystery Dungeon, I can't seem to attempt the advanced maneuvers that are crucial for the later stages of the game. Some things still work out, just not in the best way possible.

Then again, it seems like I've accomplished quite a few things with regard to Pokémon. I've played a good number of the games, where others might not do so. My Pokémon merchandise collection, though not as hugely extensive as those of others I know, is quite extensive nonetheless. I've even won awards for my cosplay, though not in the recent past. And of course, I now have this blog where I can share everything and anything related to Pokémon and me. Those are seemingly respectable.

In that respect, I've done something different. I've done typical Pokémon things, and I've also done atypical Pokémon things. My attraction to Pokémon is shown in various ways, and not just in any one way, though all the ways can and do shift in the amount of focus. Even liking Pokémon so much may be considered different among the people I know and that know me.

Even so, there's no harm not to keep trying to be the best in whatever I do with Pokémon. It may take some (actually, lots of) time and effort before that happens, but it remains a good thing nonetheless. With that in mind, perhaps the quote could be changed. Instead of "being the best or being different", it becomes "being the best and being different". That may be good too for Pokémon.

One year ago: My Pokémon Anime Epoch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.