Saturday, September 15, 2018

Pokémon Go Trading Stickers

I've discussed quite a few Pokémon stickers on this blog, which come in a wide array of shapes and sizes. However, they've all been independently created or unofficial. The stickers I discuss in this post are neither; they are completely official. Moreover, they feature Pokémon Go, which has been known to spawn lots of indie Pokémon merchandise since its boom. This fact makes these stickers attractive as well as unusual.

The theme of these stickers are trading, as it is a major concept of Pokémon that has lately been implemented in Pokémon Go. The stickers are shaped like double arrows placed beside each other, and the double arrows form a particular type of Poké Ball where they meet in the middle. Accordingly, the left arrow, which forms the top side of the ball, is always colored, while the right arrow forms the white bottom side of the ball.

The stickers, when I received them.

Naturally, there are three stickers, one for each primary ball type. These stickers come in one sheet, but the stickers are already pre-cut, so the user only has to peel and apply them wherever desired. The neat thing is that the sticker paper extends to the border, so theoretically the border art can be used as stickers too, though I think it's a little too precious for that, and there is a reason why.

These stickers were given to me by one of my raid group fellows, who was fortunate enough to attend a certain Pokémon Go event in Japan - more details soon - and got a number of these sticker sheets to be given to the people in my raid group. This fellow also told me to share the stickers as the sheets were limited, so that's what I did. I let someone else have the Great Ball and Ultra Ball stickers, while I kept the Poké Ball sticker and the sheet. Most of the others have applied the stickers to their smartphones (which they use to play Go) but I haven't found a place that is fitting for me to apply mine.

What's left of the stickers.

Another reason is that the back side of the sticker sheet contains promotional info on the upcoming Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee games, as well as the accompanying Poké Ball Plus. Thus I'm loath to cut up the sheet or manipulate the front side in any way, even once I've applied my Poké Ball sticker.

The back side.

The concept of these stickers seem to have been fully thought out, and that's a good thing. Though it does involve Pokémon Go, the involvement is as such that it doesn't seem cheesy; it would be something that players are proud to have, and they are, including me. The fact that it was also given away as part of an event related to the game seals the deal as something that players really should possess. Amidst many Pokémon Go-related things, these do seem unusual, but at the least they are appreciably attractive by their qualities.

One year ago: Am I Writing-Challenged?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.