Thursday, January 16, 2020

Only Women Like You

Only a woman can love you so much
Give you her life and give you her trust
Not any woman can do what you do
Only a woman like you
-- "Only a Woman Like You", Michael Bolton

Every so often I think about people in the Pokémon world who are of the opposite gender as I am, me being male and them being female. One such time was in October three years ago with a certain song. And right now, it would be with this song. Actually, I've thought about women in Pokémon with this song for quite some time, as this song has been around for quite some time. It's just that this song recently came back to my attention, so it becomes a bit of a "rediscovery", one that I think is worth discussing.

True to most pop songs about women, and especially many songs from this particular singer, this one is about love. Much of the song describes the qualities of a woman (or women) that make them lovable, particularly as regarded by a man. In my mind, I imagine these qualities as being applicable to the women and their Pokémon, while also sometimes still being applicable for men as well. It's romantic for all parties concerned, whether on the axis of people to people or people to Pokémon.

As noted above, I've known this song for quite some time; in fact, I've known this song ever since it was released in 2002, when Pokémon was barely over half a decade old, which also means that by now this song is almost two decades old. Even way back then, this song managed to conjure up associated images with Pokémon as above, though limited. Time has passed, and since then there have been many more female characters in Pokémon, which makes the evoked images even more vivid.

With such vivid evoked images, the natural thing to do (and the step to take) is to make an AMV with the associated images from Pokémon and using this song. The chosen images would represent the qualities as expressed in the song. This would be a great project for me to accomplish, given lots of time, ample amounts of resources, and possibilities of experimentation. But being that I have none of these at the moment, I'm forced to shelve it until such time I can undertake this.

Nevertheless, the image involving women in the world of Pokémon is a strong one, with all of the characters that have been present from the beginning and up to today. The prior song and this song seem to visualize that image somewhat well. It's also an image that keeps "evolving" as more and more women or female characters in Pokémon appear. Given the age of this song (and maybe the prior song as well), I'm sure this visual will remain an often-evoked one, or maybe even timeless.

One year ago: Pokémon Conversations
Two years ago: Be the Best... or Be Different?
Three years ago: My Pokémon Anime Epoch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.