Wednesday, January 15, 2020

After Tournament, Because of Tournament

Close to three years ago, I covered - actually, followed up - on a VGC tournament that I couldn't go to, but I contributed to in order to help its success. Since that time, the PvP feature of Pokémon Go has taken off and its tournaments are in full swing. In fact, one such tournament had taken place three days ago while there was another thing going on. It was also this tournament that I hinted about in a post about some faulty things. That post was somewhat tending towards a cryptic nature, so now that the tournament is done and gone, it's worth it to explain the things in that post a little less cryptically.

First is about the certain star figure. When Pokémon Go is safely involved, especially in Southeast Asia, only one person can be in the quiver, and that person is Brandon Tan from Singapore, a guy who I've met and others met. The story is that like the previous tournament above, he also wanted in; at one point, his Trainer ID was also seen on the tournament pre-registration list. However, as much as Pokémon Go is intricately linked to him, apparently Niantic as the developer of the game is also likewise, from what I've been told. And while Niantic had given blessings to Sunday's tournament as an official Pokémon one, it seems that his presence might "steal the thunder" from Pokémon itself, and therefore he was dissuaded from participating. It's hard to say what would have happened if he was still allowed to participate, but then that may not be for anyone to know.

Second is about me as a "star" myself. As evident from the happenings of that previous tournament, being the really big thing then, it was complemented by a different kind of happening and marred by yet another kind. It was just as much a fault-and-despair-filled weekend as it was one filled with greatness and joy. For that reason, I chose to restrict myself; as it so happens, I had my own missions to be accomplished around the weekend, so there wasn't much of a loss. Even so, if I could stand to go, then I would indeed go. My choice to restrict myself will last for some time until I've determined that it becomes appropriate for me to be able to take part comfortably again.

Third is the last "star" element, this one being Pokémon Go itself. In another post, I've discussed an example of something greatly new about it followed by a new fault in it. Even with that, though, the game remains popular, and so is its PvP mechanism. This particular tournament, in fact, was to be established as another record-breaking one. While it may not have measured to that, at least interest remained high. What remains to be seen is if this can actually become established later on, but for now, this should indicate the amount of impact that Pokémon Go has, officially even, and lead to something else greater soon.

Thus, as with that VGC tournament from years ago, I have followed up this tournament with a post about it. More specifically, I have clarified the initial post that regards it or at least its elements. The tournament remains a happening that I may have been able to contribute by participating in, which is more or less the same for others, though evidently quite a few things got in the way of the "stars". The hope is that at some point in time, those things will make way for the stars to truly shine on greater Pokémon Go success, as well as that of Pokémon in general.

One year ago: Keeping Up with VGC
Two years ago: Here Comes an Ex-Raid
Three years ago: Cosplay: AsiA Cosplay Competition, Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.