Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Cards, Revisited

I intended to make this post on the two-year anniversary of a certain post which would have happened to be one week ago, but other things took priority. That post of course concerns "the cards" - that is, of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, or TCG for short. Back then, I couldn't write up too much about it since it was early on in this blog and my knowledge of it was rather scant. However, recently I've had an opportunity to revisit "the cards", and I've gained significantly more knowledge about it, enough to write this post.

In revisiting them, a couple of weeks ago, I took a very important step: I took the plunge and have begun playing the game by downloading and installing the Pokémon TCG Online game client from the official web site. This is the "online means" which I had mentioned in that original post and wanted to explore. Using my Pokémon Trainers' Club account, I was able to log in to the game and get started playing. The in-game tutorials proved to be a massive aid for learning the basics of the game, and there are even helpful reminders at certain points of the game, even in regular play. With these, I have become able to win quite a few matches yet lose some. It has served to be a good start.

Now I'm able to deliver my initial impressions about the TCG. Having never played the TCG before this time, I'm surprised at how simple it actually is, considering other trading card games I've witnessed in action and/or played. One of my Pokémon friends, who just happens to be someone I've discussed regarding time and life and when I was given a Marshadow, did remark on this simplicity, and I can see that my friend was right. It's hard to believe that I've never played the game since I first saw it, but I can understand with what went on in the past. It is certainly different now with the TCG Online being available.

The next step after this would be to take up the TCG in physical form, as it is how actual competitions play out, much like any other trading card game. One of the people in close contact with my other Pokémon fellows actually wanted to sell a TCG set, but I didn't take it up because it was too early and I wasn't sure if I could use it to its fullest potential at the moment. I'll have to seek possible opponents, which might be hard if I'm not close to them. Further, I'm not at the point where I can make decisions comfortably in the game without having to be reminded as in the TCG Online. Once I've gone to that point, I know I'll be ready.

I've noted in my first post about "the cards" that I'm interested in being part of a TCG future, and now I've gone past the "barrier curtain" for that, so to speak. I've already learned the basics and know how to play the game, and that's a great first step. What comes after that is perfecting my skills and finding a few other people to play with; this could take a while, but it's doable. All that remains is to find out where these cards will take me within this wonderful future, which I'm rather sure of.

One year ago: Changes
Two years ago: A Loss Is... A Loss?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.