Thursday, April 11, 2019

The Songs of the Detective Pikachu Trailers

I've written about many songs on this blog that personally evoke Pokémon for me or is somehow related, and I've even written about two of them in the same post, but I've never written about three of them at once. It just so happens that there are three significant songs that have been featured in the released trailers for the Detective Pikachu movie, and I'd like to detail about those three in the same post. They're quite eclectic and don't necessarily bring to mind Pokémon, yet have something special with regard to the trailers.

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life
-- "Happy Together", The Turtles

"Happy Together" was heard in the first released trailer for the movie. I can sense why this song was chosen to be played in the background: it captures the sense of togetherness that would develop as Tim (the human protagonist) and Pikachu team up to solve the grandest mystery ahead of them. As an aside, this song was also used to advertise the initial Super Smash Bros. offering - which does feature Pokémon in part - so this song has an extended history of Pokémon promotions, in a way.

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong, and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight...
-- "Holding Out for a Hero", Bonnie Tyler

"Holding Out for a Hero" was heard in a later-released trailer, which I have dubbed the "action" trailer for its display of action-oriented scenes, including what may in fact be the climax of the movie. Judging from the lyrics, these appear to be rather relevant to Pikachu as the Pokémon protagonist, one-half of the duo in the movie and for whom the movie is named. Though the song already has a claim to fame as part of the soundtrack of a movie about dancing, it seems that it is just as apt for previewing this Pokémon movie.

Oh! I want to dance with somebody
I want to feel the heat with somebody
Yeah! I want to dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me
-- "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)", Whitney Houston

The most recent trailer (which isn't exactly a trailer, so much as it is in part a behind-the-scenes showcase for "auditioning" Pokémon that would be in the movie) features this song, including with an elevator-music version in the middle and a slight remix toward the end. Since many Pokémon in its world become partners of people, and this trailer has an "audition" sense about it, the song makes sense to a certain extent. I suppose that's still a great thing how that can be so.

Around a month ago, I discussed about the concept of "interpretative soundtracks"; all the songs above can conceivably fit into an implementation for that concept for this new kind of Pokémon movie. Even if one doesn't get made, these three songs remain significant for their ability to complement the preview trailers for the movie. On that note, they have shown that they are quite evocative of Pokémon, not just for me personally, but also for its fans as well as movie fans in general. That seems unique enough, as unique as this upcoming movie.

One year ago: O Charizard
Two years ago: Romanticism of Tall Grasses

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.