Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A New(?) Pikachu Doll

Besides the execution of the Pokémon cosplay team project from last Sunday's theme event, there was also something different, which frequent readers of this blog or those who know me for my cosplay might recognize. That would be the Pikachu doll I used, which is not the one I use as I detailed in my cosplay equipment post ages ago. It is instead a new Pikachu doll that is to be used as part of this project. Or perhaps it might not be so new, considering several aspects of it.


But first is the history of how I obtained this doll. This doll came as one package with the Vulpix doll that is also seen in the group picture from the other day, as well as the forgotten Togepi doll not seen in the picture. In other words, I and my fellow project members ordered the three dolls for the purpose of the project. It was to fulfill the availability of a primary Pokémon partner for the primary characters involved. For me, there was a secondary intent, and that was to make the doll as part of my collection. In the end, I used the doll to conform with the others, but more on this in a little bit.

This doll is official merchandise. There is a tag on its bottom-right side that identifies it as such: using the bar code on it, I've identified it as the Pokémon XY Character Plush that is made for the Korean market. The only thing about it is that when I got this doll (and the others got theirs), there was no further packaging of any kind. With the way that it's designed, it does seem like it resembles the TT Pikachu plush I detailed some time ago; its proportions are remarkably similar, including its tail, which appears to be detached. And yet, looking at it, some of the proportions appear to be slightly off, which leads me to think that it might be a "reject" or used merchandise. When I got it, it was also slightly dirty, which seems to support this theory. Its price (as it was offered to me) is also one-seventh of the supposed retail price, which lends further support.

The one I have has a size of 30 cm, but it seems to be available in 40 cm, 20 cm, and 12 cm sizes as well. I would have liked it if it was 40 cm, but alas, I can't exactly be too choosy. It does bring up the point that it's smaller than my own doll, yet at the same time it's worlds away from that. I've consulted with some of my friends, and they like its appearance, however. I'm slightly not fully convinced, but I'm willing to take it to another event or convention to see how other people respond.


Regardless of its quirks, I like this particular Pikachu doll. It doesn't seem too new, but it fulfills my attraction to Pokémon as well as the needs of the cosplay project. For as long as the cosplay project remains alive, it's likely that I'll still be using this particular doll, without forgetting that I have my other doll, which I can still use as backup if need be. They all have their places in my Pokémon cosplay and my liking of Pokémon in general.

One year ago: A Sun & Moon Doujin Manga
Two years ago: Cosplay: ComiCamp 2, Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.