Saturday, August 17, 2019

...And Social Justice for All

In building civilizations, there are certain principles that are followed in order to be beneficial for everyone. One of them is "social justice". It's a nifty principle with many interpretations, with most of them being good; it's the good ones that matter, certainly regarding the above. And since it's on this blog, I have to relate it to Pokémon somehow. Fortunately, I know how this might work out.

One way that "social justice" may be interpreted is as "equal opportunity", wherein everyone is able to access something with relatively equal efforts. This may be taken as getting something for the same price, for example. In that case, the localized TCG would fit into this interpretation. Players are able to play the same cards as others, in a language they may better understand, at a reasonable price. I'd say that's accessibility, and I'd say that's social justice.

Another way to interpret "social justice" is being able to fulfill the hopes of others, even if things don't materialize as they should. Such is the case with certain Level 5 Legendary Pokémon raids in Pokémon Go, in particular ones that may beget a Shiny Legendary. These don't always turn out Shiny - in fact, they often don't. But to be able to realize a raid with others and give them a shot at getting one is noble. It may still be hard to become a benefactor of one, but at least the chance is there.

"Social justice" is indeed a nifty principle. It is, in fact, one of the "Five Principles", the be-all and end-all ideology of the country of Indonesia, which as I've indicated in previous years (see below), is my origin and residence. While the Five Principles work as a cohesive system, sometimes it's important to point out how any one of them specifically works. I may or may not be able to discuss the others in due time, but at least I can discuss them based on what I know and how I've been exposed to them.

(And yes, although this post does discuss Pokémon Go, it doesn't specifically discuss the game... so my alternation pattern can be considered to have been broken. But that's OK - there's no time like the present to do so.)

And as always, I wish all my fellow Indonesians a Happy Independence Day.

One year ago: United in Diversity
Two years ago: Red and White Philosophy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.