Monday, August 12, 2019

Localized TCG (Not Quite) Taking Off

Over the past weekend, there was actually something important in the TCG scene. It was actually the formal launch of the localized TCG for Indonesia, in a weekend celebration with lots of Pokémon things. I wasn't there to attend the festivities - they were too far away and I have more pressing agendas, though a few of my other Pokémon fellows did attend - but from the looks of things, they seemed to be merry. The cards themselves, however, are another matter, and some cracks have begun to show, despite what seemed to be a great start.

Any printed material is bound to have errors sooner or later (a consequence of the law that belongs to a guy named Murphy), and for the localized TCG, the errors ("errata") couldn't have come any sooner. Most of the errors concern some already-printed cards that have some labels that are still in English. Because of these errata, it's not hard to see and reason that the Indonesian cards are based on a translation of the English cards, as if one prior example didn't already clearly suggest as such. Fortunately, the cards in question are being replaced, so this issue may soon become less relevant.

A more relevant issue concerns some cards that people (like me) have. It has been stated that the localized cards are not to be interoperable (interplayed) with the English cards, something that I've come to physically possess. That means if I want to play with the English cards, I have to shell out time, money, and effort to procure the English cards, then go somewhere which permits their play. In contrast, getting the localized cards will be a no-brainer, and it will permit me to play where I am. So now the path is clear: for me to play physically and locally, I have to get my hands on the local cards. Meanwhile, I can still get in some practice with the virtual TCG client with the English cards.

Another problem that has presented itself is the hunt for cards through booster packs. As predicted in my first post about them, the local chain of convenience stores associated with the conglomerate that also manages the localized cards have begun carrying the booster packs, though so far not nationally; this comes along with a card promotion for them. The problem is that the stores may not have been informed about the promotion, leaving the cards to languish. Worse yet, some fanatical players may have taken it upon themselves to wade through packs being sold for certain cards, and not in a good way. These are real problems to be sure, ones that need to be solved pronto before truly national distribution becomes at hand.

The localized TCG has potential to present itself as a fun and affordable way for local Pokémon fans and players to express themselves, but right now, I'm not seeing it yet due to the issues above. Still, the launch event has shown a promise for the enjoyment, and I trust that it will be so. Beyond what I've detailed, the local future for Pokémon will certainly involve these cards to a great extent, and once they really take off, I want to be in for the ride as well.

One year ago: Pokémon Go Community Day, 8/11/2018 and 8/12/2018
Two years ago: Cosplay: DANOBU 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.