Thursday, August 8, 2019

The Other Side of "Childhood"

Have you seen my Childhood?
I'm searching for the world that I come from
'Cause I've been looking around
In the lost and found of my heart...
-- "Childhood", Michael Jackson

Over two years ago, I wrote a post about Pokémon and childhood, and how they link up. It became one of a few posts that concern the links of Pokémon with children and other relevant things. Part of that post was also tied to the song "Childhood" by Michael Jackson, albeit the more positive aspects. The song itself has a darker side, and after letting the song occupy some of my mind recently, I feel like I need to discuss it, but still, of course, with Pokémon in tow.

Michael is known in part for some of his childish tendencies, and the song is pretty much an answer to the question "why": it is to make up for what could be termed his "lost childhood". It explains the mentioning of the two kinds of fantasies in the song's lyrics and the "plea" for understanding. Overall, Michael's music career, while immensely successful, has been troubling for him as well, perhaps until the very end. The song may be considered a testament for that, even during his younger days.

As for this song and Pokémon, I personally consider the latter to be my "escape" in some ways. Though Pokémon only came about years after my "child" phase, I find it evocative of something that could have been in that phase of life. It's a "wonder of youth" removed from my youth, which while filled with other wonders, was also "lost" in a way, somewhat like what Michael experienced on his path to stardom. It was as troubling as much as it was pleasing. And so this song incites that.

As a concession, the two fantasies described in the song may be described in Pokémon terms. The "pirates and conquests" fantasies obviously evokes the Pokémon Conquest game, while for me personally, the "stories to share" evokes the fourth feature film. Both of them are well-liked by its fans, and I have to say I agree with them. They are wonderful to recall, especially with this song in mind, which only adds to the sentiments.

This song has a nostalgic feeling to it, but also a sorrowful one. It speaks of youth wonders as well as the loss of that. It speaks for both the singer-songwriter and perhaps a good number of people out there, including me. And most of all, it also evokes or is linked to Pokémon for me personally. I'm sure if Michael were still around today, he would perhaps agree with my sentiments.

One year ago: Making Decisions in Magikarp Jump
Two years ago: Pokémon Wrapping Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.